Table of Contents
- 1 Learn how to tune your SEO content writing for more creativity and higher engagement.
- 2 What Is Creativity?
- 3 The Basics of SEO Friendly Writing
- 4 Skills You Need to Become a Successful Content Writer
- 5 Knowledge of different writing styles
- 6 Conclusion about SEO Content Writing
Learn how to tune your SEO content writing for more creativity and higher engagement.
SEP content writing is one of the most popular occupations of our era because everybody needs quality copies for their websites, advertising campaigns, meeting presentations, and all other forms of business communication.
Content marketing is also highly profitable as studies prove that it generates over three times as many leads as traditional marketing and costs 62% less. However, the truth is that millions of posts are published online on a daily basis, so only the top-notch articles can really grab users’ attention.
In such circumstances, you need to be a proficient author to get your foot in the door and distinguish your content from the crowd of competitors. This is no easy task as it demands thorough planning, research, SEO knowledge, and continuous self-improvement.
In all other cases, the job will become monotonous sooner or later and you will turn into the average content writer. We made this post to help you improve content writing capabilities by balancing SEO rules and creativity. Let’s see how it works!
What Is Creativity?
If you want to understand the process in its entirety, you also need to figure out each one of its components. We will start by answering the question: What is creativity?
By definition, creativity is the use of imagination or original ideas to create something new. It’s the main element of progress in all fields of life and work, especially content writing. But what is it that makes creativity so critical to the success of a digital author? The reasons are numerous, but we will mention only a few of them:
- Makes you special: As a content creator, you definitely don’t want to become an average Joe who writes the same kind of posts like everybody else. Creativity helps you to stay unique and craft content that lifts your head and shoulders above other peers.
- Raising awareness: Poorly written content will never inspire people to talk about it and follow your work. On the other side, creative posts will always launch the avalanche of reactions and people will be eager to see your future posts.
- Engagement driver: User engagement is yet another reason to be creative. It encourages readers to like, comment, and share your articles, thus creating a sense of community-building.
- Freedom: Creativity is opposing the existing rules and methods of work. This means it gives you the inspiration to go beyond well-established borders and work in a way that suits you the most.
Now that we know about the importance of creativity in content writing, we’ve come to the next big issue. Is it possible to develop creativity or is it a natural gift?
While some people claim that it’s impossible to learn creativity, we strongly believe you can exercise certain techniques to develop a creative way of thinking.
- Embrace critical thinking: Don’t be afraid to question the existing forms and styles of writing. You should forget about reproduction and concentrate on finding new solutions to describe well-known topics.
- Feel free to play: Trial and error is the basic method of problem-solving. Feel free to play with different solutions and test alternative sentence structures or phrases. It won’t always produce the desired result, but it will boost your creativity in the long run.
- Reject obsolete rules: Some rules are old, but not obsolete. For instance, avoiding passive voice is an ancient rule that never gets old. However, there are other writing tactics that don’t fit all types of digital copies, so make sure to reevaluate the current strategies and pose questions about it.
But what happens if you don’t do your best to develop personal creativity? The consequence is monotony, also known as one of the worst things that can happen to the content creator. By definition, monotony represents the sameness of tone or sound.
This phenomenon is not so bad in other professions. After all, creativity is time-consuming as it takes a lot of effort to come up with something really special.
For this reason, monotony is more than welcome in occupations which require repetitive work and demand ruthless efficiency. But in the field of content writing, monotony is your biggest enemy.
How to Deal with Monotony and your SEO content writing?
Despite all efforts to keep the highest level of professionalism, most people get stuck in the creativity crisis sooner or later. The only thing you can do in this case is to find the way out of the creative draught as soon as possible.
As always, there are some things you can try to reclaim your inspiration. They can range from simple tricks to time-consuming techniques, but we decided to present you five ideas that proved to function for us:
- Take a break: If you are sitting in front of a blank screen for hours, perhaps it is time to take a break? You can go for a quick walk, talk to your colleagues, take a sports break, or do anything else that could get your mind off work.
- Change the environment: Sometimes the solution is as simple as changing your environment. You can work in a coffee shop or anywhere else if that can stimulate your cognitive processes.
- Switch to another task: You probably have dozens of items on your to-do list, so you can switch to another task while waiting for inspiration to strike.
- Learn new things: Sometimes nothing can get your creative juices flowing, which usually means it’s the right moment to turn to other things or subjects. For instance, you can use the creative draught period to attend online courses or to learn about new apps and tools related to your niche.
- Take a vacation: If you feel too exhausted to try any of the methods we mentioned above, maybe you are ready for a nice vacation. Take a short trip to run away from everyday issues – it will probably be enough to reset and come back to work fresh and full of inspiration.
The Basics of SEO Friendly Writing
While content creation is all about inspiration and creativity, there are still some rules to follow in order to maximize the reach of your articles. The most important technical requirement is, of course, search engine optimization (SEO).
Thomas Goldstein, the SEO strategist at AssignmentMasters, explains the practical benefits of SEO writing: “Optimizing posts for search engine crawlers, you’ll gain more exposure, higher traffic, low-cost promotion, and many other privileges. Return on investments is massive, so you definitely need to take SEO rules into consideration while crafting digital content.”
The importance of your SEO strategy is evident, but how exactly do you create a perfectly optimized your content? We suggest you follow these hacks:
- Keyword optimization: The best posts are keyword-rich. This requires you to do your keyword research. If you want to rank higher in Google searches, you need to place keywords throughout content without overstuffing. Keyword stuffing will not help you. Keywords should not take more than 2% of the post and you absolutely have to include synonyms and long-tail keywords.
- Metadata: You must be aware of the metadata and tag each element properly. Titles, meta description, keywords, and images play a major role in this field.
- Text structure: Most readers hate long paragraphs of thickened text. Digital content is supposed to be well-structured, so you should use short paragraphs, numbers, and bulletins to divide the text into smaller sections. It drastically improves user experience and time spent on-page, which in turn influences your ranking.
- Repurposing: If you see that some posts inspire the audience, you can repurpose the topic to create a new but similar article. Using the same style with fresh stats and industry insights, you can make a great piece of SEO-driven content again.
- Internal linking: This is another important aspect of optimization, but you need to monitor inbound links to ensure they all function flawlessly.
- Visual content: Although the textual content is the main component of creative writing, visual elements have the potential to augment it. People are visual beings, so blog articles with images get 94% more views than text-only posts.
Skills You Need to Become a Successful Content Writer
Now that you’ve learned about the fundamentals of SEO writing, the importance of creativity, and how to cope with monotony. It is time to combine the knowledge and implement it in your everyday work. However, it is not a simple process and you need to nurture a full set of skills to become a successful content writer. This is what you need:
Knowledge of different writing styles
Content creation is a versatile activity that encompasses a wide range of formats and writing styles. A good author should specialize in all of these areas to become truly successful. While blog readers want to see friendly, conversational, and in-depth posts. Traditional news writing requires you to write briefly and to immediately answer the basic 5W+H questions (who, what, where, when, why, and how).
But there is more to it – advertising copies need to be concise and actionable, infographic content is even more direct, etc. As a content creator, you have to cover all aspects of the business to establish yourself as the key opinion leader in the niche. Learn more about copywriting formulas.
Research and planning skills
In case you’ve missed it, blog posts are getting longer. The audience is sick and tired of a short piece of content that don’t cover topics from all points of view. This means you need to prepare well for each type of content, conduct the research, and write at least 1.5 to 2 thousand words. This is a bare minimum if you want to write a compelling and data-driven article with predetermined ranking factors.
We mentioned that creative writing makes you special, but you have to earn this status by proving originality post after post. Try to write about unique topics, but if it is impossible, at least try to find your own way of approaching the theme.
No random subjects
Talking about article themes, keep in mind there are no random topics as you write content. This is where you need to use SEO skills in order to find subjects that perfectly correspond with the expectations of your target group.
Use tools such as Google Trends to learn what’s going on in your niche. You can analyze user inquiries to come up with relevant themes, while Google suggestions are also able to generate valuable content ideas.
Besides that, we encourage you to research competitors’ websites to see their most popular content examples. The goal is not to steal their topics, but you do want to keep track of their activities and learn from their wins or failures.
You could be writing the most entertaining and informative articles. But it won’t make a difference if they don’t solve concrete problems your audience is facing every day.
This is the purpose of digital content – to help people deal with real-life issues. You have to offer practical advice and actionable suggestions, so the content consumer can take specific action immediately upon reading.
Readability is another major aspect of content creation that influences both the style of writing and your SEO strategy. What does it mean to make a readable text? To cut the long story short, articles need to be divided into lighter units, particularly if you are writing very long posts.
Use enough whitespace to distinguish between all parts of the content. Numbers and bulleted points are a big bonus as well. Besides that, use active voice and shorter sentences, avoiding vague or intricate text. You can use the Hemingway App and make your writing bold and clear.
Conclusion about SEO Content Writing
Follow these concepts and your bounce rate will go down as your click-through-rate goes up.
Creativity is an essence of content writing, but it soon turns into monotonous work if you don’t give your best to move forward and evolve day after day. The only way to maintain the highest level of creativity and professionalism is to keep learning. Learning about the latest industry trends, developing new styles of writing, and coming up with new content creation ideas.
In this post, we explained to you how to combine all elements of digital writing to master the art of content creation. Using our suggestions, you can become a more proficient author very soon. However, don’t hesitate to leave us a comment if you need additional explanations about this topic – we would be glad to help you out!
And don’t forget to share this with a friend.