Table of Contents
- 1 In all its forms, direct mail marketing is the mainstay of many business marketing strategies.
- 2 What is direct mail marketing?
- 3 Advantages of direct mail
- 4 2022 BUDGET TEMPLATES
- 5 Make it Easier to Plan Your Marketing Strategy and Improve Results.
- 6 7 Tips for creating effective campaigns
- 7 Wrap-Up on direct mail marketing
- 8 General FAQ’s
In all its forms, direct mail marketing is the mainstay of many business marketing strategies.
Direct mail marketing paired with other marketing elements can make your sales leads soar.
Your success or failure as a marketing manager often depends on putting your company’s printed sales materials into the hands of the right prospects in your target market.
The direct mail marketing industry is booming. In fact, it’s one of the only industries that grew in 2017. With a recent study showing that over 60% of people prefer to receive paper bills and statements, this trend is expected to continue for years to come.
What does this mean for your company? The answer may lie in how you can use direct mail marketing campaigns to reach out to new demographics while also targeting your existing customer base!
In this article, we will explore why it’s so important for companies looking to expand their consumer base or find new ways of reaching out and engaging with customers through direct mail campaigns.
You want to grow your sales by using direct mail marketing, but you’re not sure how to get started!
If you’re looking for a way to expand your consumer base while also reaching out and engaging with new demographics, then direct mail marketing is the perfect solution. Let’s explore why this is a great idea for any company that wants to reach more customers without having to spend too much time or money on it!
In this article, we will explore 7 different ways of using direct mail marketing campaigns in order to grow your business.
Let’s get started!
What is direct mail marketing?
A direct mail marketing effort that uses a mail service to deliver a promotional printed piece to your target audience. Direct mail encompasses a wide variety of marketing materials, including brochures, catalogs, postcards, newsletters, sales letters, among others.
Whether it’s a high-volume mailing piece sent 1,000 to 100,000 prospects using a rented mailing list, inexpensive and personalized, or a highly targeted direct mailing distributed to a small target segment for testing.
A carefully chosen list of CEOs among your company’s best customers, or postcard mailing to existing customers announcing a new product promotion. Direct mail marketing projects are sent to your target audience, personal communication to an individual in your company’s marketplace who may be a buyer of your company’s products or services.
In planning and executing direct mail marketing projects, your job as a marketing manager is to determine the cost-effective approach in marketing deliverables needed to persuade these individuals to take action.
Begin by calling your company’s sales reps for more information. And ask them why do customers buy your company’s product for the first time, place a reorder or respond to a special promotion.
Advantages of direct mail
Direct mail offers many important advantages to your marketing program.
More than any other marketing activity, direct mail marketing gives you a high level of control. Unlike a trade show booth or a display ad in a trade publication, you control your product sales message in the direct mail package.
Your product sales appeal is not obscured by its placement in a magazine, by another competitor’s larger ad, or by poor booth location at the trade show.
Unlike print display advertising, direct mail marketing can be executed anytime, anywhere, without regard to publications closing dates or their printing schedules. If you have a mailing package and a mailing list, you can get a mailing out in a matter of days.
Unlike advertising and trade shows, there is no minimum buy-in cost to put out a mailing. You determine the number of pieces to mail, and the cost of each piece, whether it’s a thousand or a hundred thousand mailing pieces.
I want you to develop a direct mail package that works. You can achieve big savings by printing higher quantities, in advance, for the printed pieces you use in your direct mail programs.
2022 BUDGET TEMPLATES
Find 9 free budget templates for marketing use. These budget spreadsheet templates are customizable to suit your needs.
You can develop specialized direct mail packages to exploit, or respond to, virtually any new marketing situation or opportunity. You can put out a mailing designed to stimulate sales during a slow or to respond to a competitor’s price cut with a special promotional offer.
A direct mail marketing project can be developed and produced in a very short time. Any competent and dedicated digital marketing agency or marketing consultant can turn out a direct mail package, start to finish, in a week or two at most.
This fast turnaround lets you enter new markets quickly and respond to marketing emergencies faster than any other marketing method. When do you develop an array of individually printed marketing deliverables, you can increase your company speed of execution even further?
For example, an arsenal of printed pieces like direct mail brochures, reply cards, standard cover letters, and envelopes. These can be quickly modified and reassemble into a new direct mail package for a quick test in a new market. A fast mailing to a promising new prospect list, a mailing to kick off a new joint business relationship, or any other promising new business opportunity that needs to be acted upon—fast.
The more you can personalize your direct mail pieces to your prospect, the better your response. Database software and digital printing technology offer a wide range of personalization options to give your prospects highly targeted information on your company’s products.
The technology of direct mail allows you to build a direct mailing list of prospects by business size and type, the number of employees, past purchases, or any other available field in your marketing database.
The same profiling options are also available from a rented mailing list of potential prospects, available from outside sources.
Today’s high-speed digital printing technologies enable you to tell your sales message on the outer envelope, cover letter, and brochure direct mail package to appeal specifically to smaller and smaller groups of prospects.
Unlimited creativity and direct mail marketing
In direct mail marketing, there are virtually no limits to size, color options, individual printed elements, or other print or production-related options. Your materials can be as simple as or as elaborate as your budget and judgment allow.
Testing and predictability
You can test a small portion of a mailing list and predict and the results.
You can also create a response curve to predict the final response of a mailing list, based on the small number of initial responses has received during the first several days of a mailing.
And if you receive a favorable projected response to a mailing, you can start sooner to plan your follow-up mailing to larger portions of the list.
Conversely, if you receive a poor projected early response, you can make plans to mail to other potentially more productive, list, or move on to other more productive marketing activities sooner.
The two major applications for direct mail marketing in business-to-business marketing are:
- Market coverage. Generating new inquiries and sales leads for your company sales reps, through a program of regular, systematic mailings to both self-compiled mailing list, endless rented from outside sources, such as trade publications.
- Sales support. Using mailings after the sales call to shorten the sales cycle. This involves close coordination with your companies sales development representative and using a CRM system to time a series of regular mailings to prospects, designed to help your sales reps turn prospects into buyers. This may be just one follow-up mailing package, or it may be a series of two or more. This may increase the complexity, based on my prospects qualifications, and personalized as a result of your sales reps last sales call to that prospect.
There are also no limits to how and where direct mail can be used in your company’s marketing programs. Here are some examples:
- Reach CEOs with a highly personalized direct mail package, specially tailored to each recipient
- Reach key distributors or dealers with new product announcements, new pricing options in ordering plans, or new product features and enhancements
- Communicate with your customers on a regular basis. Do this through your company’s printed (or email) newsletter, focusing on the latest industry developments and providing a helpful product application advice, weaving promotional information on your company’s products or services into the content of these communications.
Make it Easier to Plan Your Marketing Strategy and Improve Results.
The right marketing tools make it easier to get results.
7 Tips for creating effective campaigns
A) Research your customer base so as to know what they need and want. Let the customer do the talking by asking them what they would like to see from you.
- Research your customer base so as to know what they need and want. Let the customer do the talking by asking them what they would like to see from you.
B) Have a clear objective for your campaigns, such as a sale or a new product launch. Ensure that your direct mail effort delivers on its promise and meets its intended goal.
- Have a clear objective for your campaigns, such as a sale or a new product launch. Ensure that your direct mail effort delivers on its promise and meets its intended goal.
C) Give customers a good reason to act now. Utilize an irresistible offer, limited-time availability, or coupon code in your campaign to get customers excited and motivated to take action.
- Give customers a good reason to act now. Utilize an irresistible offer, limited-time availability, or coupon code in your campaign to get customers excited and motivated to take action.
D) Make sure you have a reliable and accurate list of customers, leads, or contacts. You can purchase a list from a third party or compile your own database by tracking sales leads and customer feedback.
- Make sure you have a reliable and accurate list of customers, leads, or contacts. You can purchase a list from a third party or compile your own database by tracking sales leads and customer feedback.
E) Be sure to provide useful information that is relevant to your audience. Include content about new products, services, tips, tricks, coupons, discounts, and more.
- Be sure to provide useful information that is relevant to your audience. Include content about new products, services, tips, tricks, coupons, discounts, and more.
F) Don’t forget to include a call-to-action in your campaign so you get the result you want. Ask customers to visit a website or place an order for a product or service by using strong language such as “order now” or “click here.”
- Don’t forget to include a call-to-action in your campaign so you get the result you want. Ask customers to visit a website or place an order for a product or service by using strong language such as “order now” or “click here.”
- Track the success of your direct mail campaign so you can improve future efforts. Measure results using metrics such as click-through rate, open rate, sale conversions, and cost per lead or sale.
H) Regularly update your mailing list so you’re reaching out to customers who are most likely to be interested in what you have to offer. Remove unsubscribed recipients, bounced email addresses, and records of those who haven’t engaged with your mailings in a while.
By following these tips, you can create an effective direct mail campaign that will reach your target audience and help you grow your sales.
Remember to keep your goals in mind, provide valuable information, and use a strong call to action to get the most out of your efforts. And be sure to track the results so you can continue improving in the future!
Wrap-Up on direct mail marketing
Direct mail marketing is the mainstay of many B2B marketing activities. Your success or failure depends on putting your company’s printed sales materials into the hands of the right prospects, at the right time, in your market segments.
What is direct mail marketing?
A marketing effort that uses a mail service to deliver a promotional printed piece to your target audience. Direct mail encompasses a wide variety of marketing materials, including brochures, catalogs, postcards, newsletters, and sales letters.
How can direct mail marketing help a small business?
Direct mail, an offline marketing tactic, can help when integrated into a digital marketing campaign. You can see up to a 25% boost in marketing campaigns.
What is Direct response marketing?
Direct response marketing is a kind of marketing that evokes a specific, measured response resulting from a consumer’s direct response to a marketer. Direct response marketing helps the delivery of a call to action and outcome via direct or online interaction for immediate feedback and response.