Denver Startup Week has become a rite of Fall.
Denver Startup Week is only a week away, and as years previous, this yearís event will be bigger and better than ever with more than 300 events scheduled.
Such a large event can be a bit overwhelming, so we created a 2017 Denver Startup Week Schedule Guide to help you create your schedule based on the topics youíre most interested in.
As a Denver Digital Marketing Agency, we love Denver Startup Week.
Denver Startup Week: Then and Now
Denver Startup Week began as a one-night-only event on September 6, 2012, after the Downtown Denver Partnership and multiple meetup groups in the area decided Denver needed a more collaborative startup community.
That first event hosted more than 1,000 people from the Denver startup community and this yearís weeklong event is expected to attract more than 13,000 guests, showing the strength of the startup space in Denver.
What to Expect at Denver Startup Week
Denver Startup Week will take place from Monday, September 25 to Friday, September 29, at venues throughout the city. The hub of the event, known as Basecamp, is located in the heart of downtown and will host various panel discussions, happy hours, and activities as well as provide complimentary snacks and coffee all week long.
The convention is broken into (free!) sessions, which were chosen by the community to ensure the topics are highly beneficial to event attendees. All events are categorized by ďtracksĒ which include: Designer, Developer, Founder, Growth, Headline Events, Maker, Product, and Social Events. The 2017 convention will include more than 300 events, but sessions fill up quickly, so always be prepared and arrive early if possible.
Attendees create their own schedules so feel free to mix and match events to create a well-rounded experience or choose a track that best suits your needs and gain tons of knowledge to help you move through the next stage of your startup.
To begin creating your schedule for the week, register here. You can also follow the conventionís Twitter account, @DENStartupWeek and hashtag #DENStartupWeek for all the latest event details.
There are literally hundreds of events happening at Denver Startup Week, so in the article below, weíve provided a list of canít miss events categorized by topics relevant to todayís marketing and startup world.
Sharpen Your Content Marketing Skills
If youíre up-to-date in todayís marketing environment, you know that traditional, interruptive advertising is no longer enough to convert leads to sales.
As startups begin their journey toward profitability, itís important to understand todayís marketing trends and one vital part of that is content marketing.
Content marketing allows you and your company to become an educational resource for your potential and current customers through tailored content that educates readers and addresses pain points within your given market.
Mastering how to create helpfully, optimized content is a must today. With that in mind, here are a few events you can attend to sharpen your existing skills or start from scratch in the content marketing arena.
- How to Get More Conversions from Video Marketing Content – Sponsored by Great Divide Brewing, Wednesday, September 27, 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Storytelling: Developing the Big Picture for Agile Efforts, Thursday, September 28, 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- Your Content Marketing Playlist: From Run DMC to Journey, Thursday, September 28, 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Turd In a Punchbowl: Why Your Copy Sucks (and what you can do about it), Friday, September 29, 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Amplifying Your Agencyís Growth In the Second Generation of Content Marketing, Friday, September 29, 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Dive into Brand Development Strategies
When youíre in the beginning stages of building your business, brand strategy is key to ensure all your actions and the content you create perfectly align with your purpose and who you want to be as a company.
Your companyís brand extends beyond your company colors and logo; it is your companyís identity–not just what you do, but why you do it. Itís your purpose, your values, your culture and so much more.
When developing your brand strategy, you should consider how you want to be portrayed both internally and externally and then cultivate all of your actions and messaging to support your brand identity. If learning how to develop your brand strategy is your ultimate goal for the 2017 Denver Startup Week, check out the below events.
- Scaling Hospitality as your Brand, Monday, September 25, 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- The Disposable Society vs. Non-Disposable Thinking (Building a Brand with Impact), Tuesday, September 26, 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Core Values Are Not Just Fluffy Words – They Must be Operationalized, Tuesday, September 26, 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Branding for Growth- Do You Have a Brand Strategy?, Thursday, September 28, 8:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
- Build an Epic Brand and Business, Simply By Being Better, Thursday, September 28, 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Build Your Best Team
Hiring is an integral part of starting a company, and while there are many people looking for jobs today, itís vital that you distinguish which ones will fit seamlessly into your company culture.
Your future employees will help to build the brand that you envision for your company, so make sure they have the skills and talent you need to grow.
This yearís event provides plenty of education on all levels of the hiring process including employee recruitment, legal and human resources tips, and even on how to choose an outsourcing partner if you want to limit the growth of your internal team. The below events will provide guidance on how to build your best team.
- People, People, People. How Much Do You Really Know About People?, Wednesday, September 27, 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Startup Hiring: Doing It Right, Wednesday, September 27, 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Recruiting at All Ages and Stages for Technical Talent, Wednesday, September 27, 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Navigating the Marketing Mine Field to Find the Right Agency!, Thursday, September 28, 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Cards Against HR-manity – Hiring, legal & HR tips for startups, Friday, September 29, 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Take Advantage of Tech and Data
Everyday new tools and technology are emerging to (supposedly) make your life easier. What happens, though, when you and your team are unable to effectively use new technology because of a lack of training or skill?
Among other things, you could miss out on producing useful analytics, which helps to improve future projects and prove ROI to clients.
Throughout Denver Startup Week, experts in tech will be available to clue you in on everything happening in the tech world, from the latest trends to how to put your data to work. See below to find the events that best meet your tech needs.
- Data is the New Bacon, Tuesday, September 26, 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- Mastering Customer Segmentation, Tuesday, September 26, 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Top Trends In Tech, Tuesday, September 26, 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Storytelling in the 21st Century: Using data to garner press interest, Thursday, September 28, 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- “Whatís My Data Worth?” How to Monetize Startup Data in 2017, Friday, September 29, 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Learn How to Grow Your Business
Have you already determined your brand strategy and secured your content marketing calendar? Have you laid a stable foundation for your company, and now youíre ready to take things to the next level?
Denver Startup Week will be chock full of experts who have been there and done that and are busting at the seams to share their advice with you on how to scale your business.
Whether itís gaining a larger customer base or taking advantage of strategic partnerships, check out the below events to ensure youíre meeting your growth goals.
- Scaling Towards Profitability. (Capital Efficiency, Discipline, Scrappiness, and Winning), Monday, September 25, 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- How to Leverage Public/Private Partnerships to Help Grow Your Business, Monday, September 25, 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- The Art and Science of Finding Customers For Your Startup, Tuesday, September 26, 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Using Events to Move the Needle for Your Business, Wednesday, September 27, 8:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
Events You Can’t-Miss
We could go on for days about the innumerable resources that will be available to you at the Denver Startup Week, but weíll end our list here with a list of some of the most popular events already causing a buzz in the startup community.
- Rise Up: How to Kickstart Your Career in a Startup, Monday, September 25, 8:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
- Pitch Lab: How To Be A More Engaging Speaker Using Stand-Up Comedy, Monday, September 25, 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Self-Management, Entrepreneurship, and the Future Of Work, Tuesday, September 26, 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Chinese Rockets and Disco Dance Lessons: The Art of Reinvention – A night with startup visionaries Charlie Ergen, Mark Cuban and Brad Feld presented by DISH, Tuesday, September 26, 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. **This is a ticketed event, so make sure you sign up ahead of time!**
- Women Who Startup Summit, Tuesday, September 26, 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Got an idea, What next? Come talk with those who have done it., Wednesday, September 27, 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Founder F*ck Ups, Wednesday, September 27, 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Denver Startup Week Job Fair and Showcase sponsored by Spectrum, Wednesday, September 27, 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- In It for the Long Haul ó Positioning Your Startup to Take Advantage of Growth Opportunities, Market Changes and More, Thursday, September 28, 8:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
- Buzzed Brainstorming with Tipsy Technologists from The Denver Mad Scientists, Friday, September 29, 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
No matter what youíre hoping to learn at Denver Startup Week, there will be plenty of opportunities to get advice from industry experts and to connect with other individuals and companies that are navigating the startup world. Now, go build your schedule!
Enjoy this article. And don’t forget to share!
What to Expect at Denver Startup Week?
Denver Startup Week is a celebration of everything entrepreneurial in Denver and the largest free event of its kind. In 2018, the seventh annual event brought over 16,000 people together at 417 programs and events to celebrate Denverís thriving entrepreneurial ecosystem and build the center cityís culture of innovation.
Why does Denver Startup Week exist?
2019 Denver Startup Week is celebrating entrepreneurship in Denver and the largest free event of its kind. In 2018, the seventh annual event brought over 16,000 people together at 417 programs and activities to celebrate Denverís vibrant entrepreneurial ecosystem.
What are Denver Startup program tracks?
There are eight function tracks. The sessions throughout the annual event are organized into eight tracks that are oriented around key functional roles within a business. Whether a company founder, marketer, artist, sales specialist, developer, or manufacturer.